Monday, July 2, 2012

More benefits of bovine colostrum for dogs and puppies

I cannot express how thankful I am to this wonderful natural remedy - colostrum. It is the first food, packed with all the neccessary nutrients, minerals and vitamins. It also contains growth factors which are essencial when it comes to recovery from an illness.

Bovine colostrum is not species oriented. It works wonders on humans, dogs, cats, horses, well, I guess on all the mammals in this world.

Once we went to the vet with our previous dog, an italian mastiff in order to check with an ultrasound if she was expecting puppies. Well, she was not pregnant as we found out at the vet's office and we just chit-chatted about dogs for a bit, then I decided to share my thoughts on colostrum with the vet. To tell you the truth she never heard of anybody treating dogs' ailments with colostrum before and due to that fact grew quite sceptic regarding the benefits of the product.

I was not able to prove anything to her and she didn't seem to be very eager to learn anything interesting of a natural remedy either. Her opinion on the colostrum was that it is 'infants feed' and therefore is unneccessary for grown-up dogs.

I have also read some articles on the web claiming colostrum to be great for healing injuries of ligaments and tendons, hip dysplasia, ear infections and a whole lot more.

By the way, once my jar with colostrum ran empty and I decided to take a break from it for a while. Not so long after my little Zella developed an ear infection and we rushed her to the vet. But I will cover the ear infection topic in my later posts.

So as a maintenance daily dose I administered 1 teaspoon (not heaped) per puppy's feeding, totalling 3 teaspoons a day. It is very cheap if you buy bigger cans with colostrum powder. We have three more dogs in the house totalling four dogs including Zella. All of them are receiving colostrum daily. The other three are large dogs so they get a slightly heaped tablespoon per feeding.

Here are some brands that I purchased and can tell that they are of very good quality (judging by the health of my own dogs):

1. Colostrum Plus powder by Simbiotics


2. New Zealand colostrum by Sedona Labs


3. Organic Colostrum for pets by Flying Basset


4. NOW foods colostrum powder


Simbiotics colostrum and from NOW foods have been tested on myself and my hubby as well, but I will write about it later. The only thing I wanted to add is that you cannot 'overdose' with colostrum. It is actually food, natural food stuffed with great benefits.

No comments:

Post a Comment